CEEN 4790/8796: Optical Fiber Communications
Catalog Entry (2012-2013):
4790 Optical Fiber Communications(4) Fundamentals of lightwave communication in optical fiber waveguides, physical description of fiber optic systems. Properties of the optical fiber and fiber components. Electro-optic devices: light sources and modulators, detectors and amplifiers; optical transmitter and receiver systems. Fiber optic link design and specification; fiber optic networks. Prereq: CEEN 4630. (Cross-listed with CEEN 8796.)
4 Credit Hours; 3 Hours Lecture; 3 Hours Lab.
Optical fiber is the backbone for high-speed, local and long distance communication networks. This course provides the students with the necessary background and concepts for understanding and designing of optical fiber communication systems and for further advanced study in this area.
- Optical fiber waveguides: Physical structure and propagation in single-mode and multi-mode glass fibers; fiber losses, dispersions and nonlinearities; measurements of optical fiber characteristics.
- Fiber components: Fiber connectors, couplers, gratings.
- Optical transmitter system: Light emitting diodes, diode lasers, fiber sources; noise, modulation and coupling.
- Optical receiver: Photodetection, PIN and avalanche diode detectors; fiber amplifier and post detection amplifiers; receiver noise, sensitivity, and bit-error rates.
- Fiber optic link/networks: Power budget, capacity, distortion; multiple access, time, wavelength and code division multiplexing.
The laboratory assignments employ a wide range of state-of-the-art fiber optic instruments that include beam profiler, fusion splicer, optical time-domain reflectometer, optical spectrum analyzer, laser diode and photodetector systems, erbium-doped fiber amplifier, tunable semiconductor fiber source. The lab assignments employ these instruments to perform measurements of laser beam and optical fiber characteristics as well as fiber-optic devices and systems.
Dr. Lim Nguyen
Phone: (402) 554-2754 or (402) 554-2288
Fax: (402) 554-2289